Tuesday 22 October 2013

War

My husband is a huge fan of the History Channel and it amazes me how much he knows about various wars throughout history and the weaponry that is associated with them - should I be afraid? I just put it down to him being a boy.

That said, there are many war films out there that will appeal to both men and women, but lets face it, just as rom coms are considered chick flicks, war movies are generally considered to be a boy movie genre.

Ones that I have enjoyed include:

Apocalypse Now - everyone should see this
Full Metal Jacket - one of my favourite Kubrick films to this day
Platoon
All quiet on the western front (my preference is for the 1930s version)
Das Boot
Europa Europa
First Blood (aka Rambo part 1- not strictly a war movie but worth a watch nonetheless)
Black Hawk Down
Braveheart - technically it is a war movie so I have included it in this list
Empire of the Sun - probably one that appeals more to both men and women (featuring a very young Christian Bale - arguably along with Jodie Foster, Natalie Portman and Joseph Gordon-Levitt one of the best actors to make the transition from child actor to adult actor out there)
The Dirty Dozen
Memphis Belle - one that definitely will appeal to women as much as men
The Thin Red Line
Ran (because I felt the list should include a Kurosawa film)
Tae Guk Gi: The Brotherhood of War (because I felt a Korean war film made by Koreans should be on the list and this really is a great one)
Gallipoli (I love Peter Weir movies - if you have a big screen tv, this one is great)
Breaker Morant (I love Bruce Beresford movies and this is one of his early ones)
The Hurt Locker - this film had me on the edge of my seat and deserved the oscar for best picture
Saving Private Ryan
The Killing Fields (Having visited Phnom Penh and visited the actual fields - I have never felt so sick about what human beings are capable of. This film really is wonderfully done)
Letters from Iwo Jima
Glory (For the Civil War fans)
The Battle of Algiers (definitely more of a "boy movie")
Battleship Potemkin (I felt I should include a Russian Silent film and this one really is great given when it was made)
Good Morning Vietnam

Anyway, that's my list for today. Let me know if you think there are any I have missed.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The comments below are made by anyone and may not be indicative of the bloggers own thoughts.