Thursday 3 October 2013

I have children coming and they have seen everything made by Disney and Pixar in the last decade

I have a little girl and at the moment television holds her interest for about a minute, unless she is watching herself or on Skype with the grand parents so I am yet to have the problem of entertaining children that have seen 'everything'. That said, I am personally quite a big fan of some films that are specifically targeted to children. There are a few gems that are like the Simpsons in that they operate on a couple of levels so that both children and adults are entertained.

Given we are in 2013, this post is all about films made prior to 2003. Outside of the classic disney animations (Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland, The Jungle Book, Beauty and the Beast, Fantasia, Cinderella, Pinocchio, The Sword in the Stone, Sleeping Beauty, Aladdin, Bambi, Dumbo, The Little Mermaid, Snow White and the Seven Dwarves and The Lion King), there are several other films that are a great watch.

Ones that are on my list include The Wizard of Oz, The Muppet Movie, The Princess Bride (a personal favourite of mine), Labyrinth, The NeverEnding Story (although I will admit the special effects are quite dated now), The Sound of Music, Scrooge (for those looking for Christmas viewing), The Goonies, E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (again, the effects are now quite dated), Hook, Stand by Me (more for older children than littlies), Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Flight of the Navigator, Mary Poppins, Matilda, Shrek, The Original Star Wars Trilogy (i.e. Chapters 4, 5 and 6 - I haven't been able to watch beyond the Phantom Menace of the newer films. I feel like George Lucas sabotaged my childhood memories (and that's being nice. I could use more offensive language to describe what he has done) with the creation of the newer films, Storm Boy, Charlotte's Web, Watership Down, Babe and The Secret of NIMH.

A memory about the last film on the list. When I was little, my sisters and I were walked from home all the way to the cinema - it is about 3 kilometres which in child terms seemed like forever by my Grandmother to go and see The Secret of NIMH at the cinema. When we arrived, my grandmother bought tickets for us and told us to go in. We asked if she was joining us and she said no but she would be waiting for us when we the movie finished. I wasn't aware of it at the time but my grandmother's cigarette addiction was so bad that the prospect of sitting through a film for 90 minutes without smoking was so unappealing to her that she preferred to not see it.

Anyway, that's it for today. I know that the list doesn't have every single children's film made prior to 2003 and I have only looked to include ones that I think are worth watching. Are there any children's films made prior to 2003 that you think should be on the list? Let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The comments below are made by anyone and may not be indicative of the bloggers own thoughts.