Tuesday 15 October 2013

The Germans Are Coming

I have to admit that I haven't seen a lot of German films but those I have seen, I have really enjoyed. The countries that I have lived in generally don't offer a large foreign film selection at the cinema. In Australia, French and Spanish films tended to be screened more than German films and in Singapore, European foreign films barely rate a viewing. They tend to be screened for a week or less and the session times are quite random.

That said, a few gems have made their way onto the screen and I have had the opportunity to enjoy them. The ones that I would recommend include:

Good bye Lenin! (A wonderful look at Germany during the fall of the Berlin wall)
The Lives of Others (Deserved of the Best Foreign Film oscar)
Das Boot (even if you are not a fan of war movies, this is worth a watch)
Run Lola Run (really good action/thriller)
Metropolis (an oldie but a goodie - was the inspiration of Madonna's Express Yourself music video)
Downfall (several parodies of a particular scene from this film have appeared on You Tube - the acting is superb)
The Counterfeiters (A really wonderful true story that is worth a watch)
Europa, Europa (Not strictly German as other countries were involved in the production of this film but it is predominantly in German so I have included it here)
The Edukators (Please bear in mind this is a low budget film - but definitely worth a watch)

Again, this is not a list of all of the great German films out there. Just a list to get you interested if you like foreign films.

Any glaring omissions? Let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The comments below are made by anyone and may not be indicative of the bloggers own thoughts.