Thursday 14 November 2013

Taxi

Today's post is about films that feature taxis as a main part of the film. Surprisingly there are quite a few films out there that use this form of transport as a feature part of the film.

A few of my favourites are listed below:

Night on Earth - This film by Jim Jarmusch is wonderful. I have seen it many times and have enjoyed it each time. Features subtitles and a wonderful cast.

Taxi - the French version in its original language if you can. It is a great French action film that has spawned a couple of sequels. (not the Queen Latifah film of the same name. There is a massive difference between the quality of the two films)

Taxi Driver - no list about taxi movies would be complete without this wonderful Scorcese film with an all star cast including Robert De Niro, Jodie Foster and Cybill Shepherd.

The Purple Taxi - this is quite an old film with a wonderful cast including Peter Ustinov, Fred Astaire and Charlotte Rampling. Copies are difficult to find and again this was one that I caught on television late one night. It really is a brilliant film.

Taxi to the Dark Side - for those interested in documentaries, this one is unmissable.

Collateral - I knew at some point I would include a Tom Cruise movie and this one is more for Jamie Foxx's performance than Tom Cruise's. Still, it is a surprisingly engaging film.

Chicago Cab - this is a low budget, independent film with a great cast (John Cuzack, Julianne Moore, Laurie Metcalf, Gillian Anderson, Paul Dillon and Michael Ironside to name a few). It didn't do well at the box office but I really think it is worth watching. A great sleeper film.

News from the Good Lord - I have mentioned this French film in a previous post. If you can track down a copy on DVD with English subtitles on the internet, let me know where as I would love to own it. Incredibly great film with a wonderful storyline that is really unusual and wonderful to watch. I cannot rate this movie high enough.

Not a long list today and I admit there are other taxi films out there that are worth viewing. This is just one to get you started. What's your favourite? Let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The comments below are made by anyone and may not be indicative of the bloggers own thoughts.