Thursday 21 November 2013

Notions of Time

It has been nearly two weeks and I am still thinking about Blue Jasmine. Regardless of whether you are a fan of Woody Allen films or not, it is a really good film. For those that aren't fans of Woody Allen it might be an easier Woody Allen film to watch because he isn't in it. That said, today's post is about films that play with the concept of time. There are several films out there that "jump around" in a temporal sense that are worth viewing. Below are a few that for me really stood out.

Memento - this early Chris Nolan film is wonderful. I recognise that it may not appeal to everyone because it can appear to be quite jarring at times, but I really think for those that like a challenge, have a look at this one. Both Guy Pearce and Carrie Moss are wonderful in this film.

(500) Days of Summer - this is a wonderful film. The acting by Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Chloe Grace Moretz and Zoey Deschanel is great. I always wonder if someone will look to do a broadway version of this film as I think would translate well into the theatre. Perhaps a challenge for one of my readers. :)

Groundhog Day - Firstly, I have to say that I love this movie. I love Bill Murray as an actor and will watch pretty much anything he is in. I don't advocate drug use but if you happen to find yourself under the influence of the green weed, it is a film that can really mess with your mind.

The Time Traveler's Wife - I loved the book and the film is a little bit uneasy but still worth a watch. Rachel McAdams and Eric Bana are great in this film.

Run Lola Run - A wonderful German film that is still worth a watch after all these years. Won't appeal to everyone but I love it.

Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction - both excellent Tarantino films that make for great viewing.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - I love Charlie Kaufman - he really creates wonderfully original scripts and this one is acted beautifully by Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet. Definitely worth a watch.

Source Code - Easy Friday night viewing. I felt I should include a Thriller/science fiction film in the list.

Any favourites of yours that play with the concept of time? Let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The comments below are made by anyone and may not be indicative of the bloggers own thoughts.