Thursday 7 November 2013

Fame - Remember my name

I was watching an episode of Zach Stone Is Gonna Be Famous on MTV the other night. The script of the series is well executed by the actors and while it may lag in parts, on the whole, it is quite a good piece of television.

The show reminded me of films that have characters obsessed with becoming famous and as such has formed the inspiration behind today's post.

Films that consider the concept of celebrity that are well worth a watch (at least in my mind) include:

Celebrity - Judy Davis, Kenneth Branagh and Leonardo Di Caprio are excellent (along with the rest of the cast) in this wonderful Woody Allen film.

To Die For - Another Nicole Kidman classic directed by Gus Van Sant. A wonderful black comedy.

Center Stage - this is a light piece of fluff that is worth a watch if you don't want to use your brain too much and enjoy dance movies.

Fame - my preference is for the 1980s version with the Irene Cara soundtrack. There was a remake in 2009 which pales in comparison to the original movie.

Natural Born Killers - I will readily admit that I found this really difficult to watch. The R rating is justified given the amount of violence in the film. It is a good film but it is not for everyone.

15 Minutes - This thriller with De Niro is a good watch but not a great watch.  

The Chase - not so much about fame but there are a couple of fame obsessed characters in it. I love the film and so I have included it here.

The Bling Ring - Sofia Coppola has done a wonderful job looking beyond this true story into the concept of celebrity.

The King of Comedy - De Niro excels in this Martin Scorcese film. It was a film that was ahead of its time and is definitely worth a watch.

Being John Malkovich - this is a film that I saw at the cinema and could not wait for it to reach DVD. Charlie Kaufman's a wonderful script writer because he really thinks outside the box (I would love to be a tourist in his mind for a day). Definitely see this film if you like offbeat interesting pieces.

Everybody's Famous! - this Belgian film is incredibly funny and well worth a watch.

That's it for today. Any that I have missed out on? I didn't include The Truman Show here because while I love the film, I think it is concerned with exploring our obsession with reality TV than it is with celebrities and so I didn't think it would fit with today's post.




No comments:

Post a Comment

The comments below are made by anyone and may not be indicative of the bloggers own thoughts.