Sunday 5 January 2014

Happy 2014 - What I watched over the Christmas Break

Welcome to 2014, may it be prosperous and happy.

I thought I would use this post to talk about the films that I watched over the Christmas break. I have to say upfront that I didn't pick most of the films on the list as my dad had organised the viewing of the films before we arrived.

Starting at the top:

The Last King of Scotland - I found this to be an excellent film. Forest Whittaker is brilliant and was incredibly deserving of the academy award for his performance in this film. He plays the character with so much depth. I wouldn't want small children to watch this but if you like true stories then this film is definitely worth a watch.

The Frozen Ground - Finally, Nicholas Cage doing decent movies. This film was surprisingly good. Vanessa Hudgens is remarkably good in this film and her character is a far cry from her High School Musical background. John Cusack is also great in this true story. Definitely worth a watch for those that like drama/thriller/true story films.

Shooter - this wasn't the first time that I have seen this film but my dad admitted to it being one of his favourites. Definitely hits the all the right buttons for vigilante justice fans. Has a few good lines in it.

Before Midnight - this is the final of the trilogy and was one that my dad hired for my mum to enjoy - which she did. The guys didn't enjoy it as much as the girls. I found it to be great because I am aware that there is no real script - the actors pretty much improvise most of the film based on a framework established by the director. I thought they were excellent and the film raised issues that are of importance to many relationships. In my opinion it is a good date movie.

Infernal Affairs - Again, not the first time I have seen this movie. My dad was disappointed with the ending of this film but the rest of it he found to be really enjoyable. It is one of my favourite Hong Kong films and I will always recommend it.

We're the Millers - I watched this on the plane as I felt that Rush or Red 2 were better suited to a screen that was larger than the back of an aircraft seat. It is an easy Friday night in beer and pizza movie after a long week at work. It doesn't require much brain power and if you are a fan of the National Lampoon's Vacation movies, chances are you will enjoy this too. There are some good moments and lines in the film but on the whole it is an ok movie.

So that's it. The rest of the time was spent watching Australia cane the English in the Ashes which as an Australian made for fantastic viewing. What about you? What films did you watch over the Christmas break? Any you would recommend?

No comments:

Post a Comment

The comments below are made by anyone and may not be indicative of the bloggers own thoughts.