Monday 13 January 2014

Biblical

I am doing a 100 day challenge of sorts at the moment and one of the items on the list is to read the bible from start to finish in 100 days. As I was reading this morning, it made me think about the films that have been released that are based on part of the bible or a person that is in it so I thought that I would make it the subject of today's post.

For those that enjoy biblical films, they are often on free to air around Easter and Christmas each year. Ones that I think are worth watching are:

The Ten Commandments - this film took a decade to make and while the special effects are quite dated it is still a pretty good epic. It is an incredibly long film and as such is not for the faint hearted. There was a remake in 2006 which I have not seen. I tend to stick to the original.

Jesus of Montreal - I saw this film when it was released at the movies. It is one of my favourite Canadian films. It hasn't really lost that much since it was released and is definitely worth viewing.

The Last Temptation of Christ - this film caused a massive stir in Australia when it was released. It has a great cast and is wonderfully directed by Martin Scorcese. I think it is worth a watch.

The Passion of the Christ - this is quite a violent film from Mel Gibson. Again, it has a great cast and the cinematography in the film is excellent. It is a pretty good watch.

The Miracle Maker: The Story of Jesus - for those that like clay animation, this is a great film that has a wonderful cast (Ralph Feinnes, Ian Holm, William Hurt, Julie Christie, Miranda Richardson to name a few). Definitely worth a watch.

Go to Hell!! - I have mentioned this one before in other posts. This is a crudely animated Australian film. If you are able to track down a copy, I highly recommend it. It is wonderful viewing. I won't say it is an authentic retelling of the bible but it is an interesting take on it.

Wholly Moses! - this is better than the rating that IMDB gives it. It has a great cast and it really isn't meant to be taken seriously. It is worth at least one viewing.

That's it for today's post. Do you have a favourite biblical film that is not on the list? If so, let me know in the comments below.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The comments below are made by anyone and may not be indicative of the bloggers own thoughts.