Tuesday 3 December 2013

Gay

I was reading in the Sydney Morning Herald this morning that a couple of celebrities have admitted to being in same sex relationships while avoiding the term gay. I think that it is a shame in this day and age that people can't be honest about who they are without most of society shaming or thinking less of them based on their sexual preference.

Major case in point is Matt Bomer. The guy is quite honestly the devil's gift to women. I know I said that I wouldn't include anything from films but this portion didn't make it into Magic Mike and so I feel I am not breaking my rules by including it here. I am a big fan of the White Collar TV series and his character in it, Neal, is incredibly complex and Matt really nails his complexity that would have evolved from a troubled past. Season 5 hasn't hit the screens here in Asia as yet and I am looking forward to it.

Matt is openly gay and in a relationship that includes children. I think he is really a pioneer for creating a greater amount of tolerance in society because his children and their friends are going to grow up with this type of family as normal.

Enough about my opinions on the subject. Needless to say, today's post is about gay films that are worth watching and there are several, too many to include in one post. Starting with the more well known ones:

Brokeback Mountain - arguably one of the most stunning Ang Lee films ever made. The entire cast are wonderful in this film.

The Wedding Banquet - Another Ang Lee masterpiece. I really love this comedy. It is a great watch.

Philadelphia - this film really made me cry. Tom Hanks and Denzel Washington are wonderful in this film.

Milk - Sean Penn is a wonderful actor and really deserved the oscar for his performance in this Gus Van Sant Film.

Chasing Amy - This really is one of Kevin Smith's better films. The script and the acting are quite good. There are some really classic scenes worth watching in this film.

And the band played on - this film is incredibly well done and is great viewing.

Priest - this British film made me cry so much. It is so much more than a gay movie. Really engaging viewing and raises some really interesting questions. Great film for discussion.

Bound - a fun thriller that makes for easy viewing.

Swoon - this is a pretty good crime film. I admit that it won't appeal to everyone. The techniques used in the film can be quite confronting to the viewer and it is in black and white. I enjoyed it.]

The Adventures of Priscilla: Queen of the Desert - This is a great Australian film that spawned an equally successful stage musical. It is definitely worth watching.

The Sum of Us - I like this film. It is one of Russell Crowe's earlier works and he and Jack Thompson are great in this film. It has a great script, is very Australian and is a good watch.

Ma Vie En Rose - This Belgian film is excellent. It is great viewing and quite challenging for some people. Definitely worth watching.

Head On - this Australian film is quite confronting viewing. That said, the performances are excellent.

Happy Together - this Wong Kar Wai film is beautiful but challenging to watch. Really wonderful acting and of a very high standard.

That's it for today. Are there any that I should include on the list that I have missed, let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The comments below are made by anyone and may not be indicative of the bloggers own thoughts.