Wednesday 11 December 2013

Australian Classics - Part One

Hello All, given I am heading to Australia for the Christmas break, I thought I would dedicate today's post to Australian films. As an Australian, I have watched several Australian films not only to support the Australian film industry, but because I genuinely enjoy watching them. I have listed below a few of my favourites. This is by no means a complete list because there are a lot of Australian films that I think are worth viewing.

Ten Canoes - I have a confession to make with regards to this film. I fell asleep in the last 10 minutes. The reason I fell asleep is that we had been renovating our house all day and went to the 9.30pm session of the film in the cinema. That said, it is a remarkable film and gives wonderful insight into the Aboriginal way of life.

The Castle - This is an Australian classic. Well worth a watch.

The Sapphires - it was the highest grossing Australian film of last year. Definitely worth a watch. Based on a true story.

Lantana - this is a wonderful Australian film. The performances by the cast are excellent.

Shine - the film that made Geoffrey Rush an international household name. Wonderful viewing.

Occasional Course Language - I love this film because it is set in the inner west of Sydney which is where I lived and worked for a while. It didn't do much at the box office but is a good film and an easy watch.

Gallipoli - I love Peter Weir movies and this one is a great one.

Red Dog - this is a fun Australian movie that has a great script - easy to watch.

The Year my Voice Broke - this is a beautiful coming of age movie as is its sequel, Flirting. Wonderful performances all round.

Muriel's Wedding - This film is a wonderful comedy. Well worth a watch.

Tomorrow, when the war began - this film has great performances from a young cast.

My Brilliant Career - this Gillian Armstrong film has held well over time. Still worth a watch.

The Man from Snowy River - this film is based on a poem by Banjo Paterson. It is beautiful to watch. Definitely one for those who have a big screen TV.

Oyster Farmer - this film is a wonderful little film. Definitely worth a watch.

The Heartbreak Kid - not to be confused with the Ben Stiller film. This is a heartwarming coming of age movie that spawned a TV series.

The Chant of Jimmy Blacksmith - this film is quite a confronting film to watch but is engaging viewing.

Australian Rules - this too is a confronting film. Wonderful performances all round and it makes for excellent viewing.

The Big Steal - this is a great easy film to watch.

Chopper - this is not an easy film to watch. It launched Eric Bana as a serious actor and out of his previous role as a comedian.

Strictly Ballroom - this is the film that made Baz Luhrmann a household name. It is a fun watch.

There are a lot of others that I could include on this list that I haven't and will save for a future list. Do you have a favourite Australian film? If so, list it below.



No comments:

Post a Comment

The comments below are made by anyone and may not be indicative of the bloggers own thoughts.